Ian Murray Short Handicap
The Ian Murray Short Handicap is a 3.65 Mile club race
starting from behind Havant Leisure Centre with a route down to Langstone and back.
It is an annual series with individual monthly races from March to September.
If you have run before, you will have an estimated finish time.
You will be set off at a specific times relating to your estimated time, with the slowest starting first.
The handicaps for the first race are based on last year's finishing times. Runners without a handicap will be allocated a start time prior to the event.
This will be based on a previous race you have run, such as the Winter Handicap.
If you are running a Handicap for the first time, you will not be eligible to win the trophy for winning that first specific race.
However, you will get points for that race towards the series.
The idea is that everyone will finish at about the same time, but if you run quicker you could finish first earning yourself plenty of points.
In doing this you also change your estimated time and makes it harder for you to finish first again.
There is a monthly winner and a league table kept to establish the season winner.
To make the series of handicap races as fair and accurate as possible, it is essential that all runners start at their allotted handicap times.
To prevent confusion and chaos at the start of the race, could we ask that:
Course Route Map
- All runners register with the organiser. Do not just turn up and expect to be spotted!
- Know your start time. When you register, get your handicap start time - and remember it!
- Warm up but be ready at the start line before your start time. Your name will be called but you need to be within ear-shot and be listening out!
- Turn up and register before the race start. This helps eliminate interruptions to the organisers between the start of the race and the last competitor setting off.
- Anyone turning up after their race start times will be assigned a later start time by the organisers when they have a convenient gap between starting other competitors.
This may not always be possible so don’t assume this.
- If you wish to start earlier than your handicap time, you will receive no points for that race. Please agree an earlier start time when you register - and remember it.
Make sure to always use the footbridge to cross the railway whether or not the gates are open.
When running west towards the finish on Eastern Road, participants should move to the right side of the road prior to reaching the t-junction to Leigh Road.
Click here for pdf of more detailed rules for the Summer Handicap Series
Please wear a club vest or T-shirt when competing
in the short and long handicap races.
Kit is available from Alexandra Sports if you need to purchase a vest or club tee-shirt.